Updates: Fabrication and new bits!

Seems like both Tofuboy and I have been fairly busy making bits and pieces. Just a quick update: Bilstein shocks have been ordered + King springs. When they arrive car will go straight to the workshop and BAM handling done (of course plus all the other arms and sh!t I have in my living room right now).

So what have I been busy making? Well a while ago I bought a sheet of perspex – 4.5mm thickness with the intention of making a pod box. This plan was hampered by the fact I didn’t have a jigsaw which, you would know, is an essential part of the project. Until my dad told me that he had one (A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT THE PERSPEX).

So one saturday morning bright and early, I woke up: fabrication time! First up made a cardboard template (this was made a month before buying perspex). So skip this bit, straight to:

Drew template on sheet of perspex and cut:IMAG0072

Then, I needed to bend it. As you can see i did not have a heat gun either, so I tried to use the hairdryer. NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK. SPEND 35$ AT BUNNINGS AND GET A HEAT GUN. I left this hairdryer on high for about 10 mins and then it cut out on me (inbuilt fuse, i think it overheated). So that day I was stuck and had to finish up cos I could not do anything else.IMAG0073

Next day I went and bought the heat gun. I didn’t take pictures because I was very rushed in doing it, but it turned out as well as I could expect for the first go. Here’s how it sits now.

IMAG0083

It is far from perfect and I’ll be making a v2.0 later on.IMAG0088

I was bored at night, and earlier that day had bought some Autosol…and this is the result. That stuff is magical!

IMAG0081

So, with the spare offcuts of perspex and time on my hands (a few weeks later), I decided I’d do something about this ugly gap between the boot and knob. This was as as simple measuring up the gap with a strip of paper (width and length) and then doing the same on the perspex, cutting it, heating, and wrapping it to mould to the bend. This is the hardest bit though, because the perspex I bought (4.5mm) was too thick to bend easily (it bends, just not EASILY) even if it is well-heated. But, having said that, just like my pod box, this is a great first attempt (I actually made 2 that day, this is the pic of one) and I will be doing it again when I get some thinner perspex.

Before

IMAG0106

After

IMAG0109

Camera
HTC EVO 3D X515a
Focal Length
3.49mm
ISO
273

So on another day, I decided that I’d respray this front grill. It’s obviously been resprayed in red before, and then black, but badly; and now it was peeling/chipping off. Some sanding and painting would make this look much better. So i got to work.

IMAG0089

And then realised that my front bar was held on by cable ties on BOTH SIDES. and that the tab on one side was actually snapped and only held on by a tiny tiny corner…fark me. So I thought, this will not do. I set to work to try and fix it. IMAG0091

Super glue, sticky tape…time…

IMAG0092

Camera
HTC EVO 3D X515a
Focal Length
3.49mm
ISO
75

I don’t have pictures of what it is now, but the glue held in the end, and I’ve bolted it back on. My mate told me about plastic weld which seems like a much better option than superglue so I’ll be getting some of that soon and then strengthening this bond. But, for now, it works!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s